Installation of natural grass in Perth
Properly cared for, and with the right irrigation system in place, natural grass will provide the best-looking result in a garden design- even in hot and sandy Perth.
Some of the most common Perth varieties (warm season grasses) we install are:
- Palmetto and Sir Walter Buffalo (Stenotaphrum
- ‘Wintergreen’ Couch Cultivar (Cynodon species)
- Zoysia ‘Empire’ (Zoysia species)
- Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinum)
We are experienced with the installation and maintenance of natural
Palmetto and Sir Walter Buffalo
Advantages of Buffalo lawn
- Beautiful emerald colour
- Tolerant of light and shade
- Good winter colour retention
- No rhizomes or underground roots to invade garden beds
Disadvantages of Buffalo lawn
- Higher water use
- Care needs to be taken with broadleaf herbicides.
- More expensive to install
- Does not recover from damage as well and as quick as others
Suitable use for Buffalo:
- Small to medium suburban gardens with a good budget for watering.
- Areas with light to medium shade
‘Wintergreen’ Couch cultivar
Advantages of Couch lawn
- Tolerates winter cold better then common Couch
- Soft fine leaf
Disadvantages of Couch
- Poor colour in Winter if not maintained
- Invasive rhizomes
- Tolerates broadleaf herbicides
Suitable use for Couch:
- Very good for suburban homes on a budget and low water use
Advantages of Zoysia
- Soft foliage
- Drought tolerant
- Low mowing requirement
Disadvantages of Zoysia
- Slower to establish and recover from damage
- More expensive than Couch and Kikuyu
Suitable use for Zoysia lawn:
- Small to medium gardens.
- Areas with light shade
- Families needing soft grass for children.
Advantages of Kikuyu
- Very cheap
- Very drought resistant
- Very fast growing
- Recovers from damage quickly, especially for sport
Disadvantages of Kikuyu
- Too much mowing in small to medium gardens. Weekly in Summer!
- Very invasive rhizomes in small to medium gardens. Slower to establish and recover from damage
Suitable use for Kikuyu lawn:
- Large areas, especially for local councils, sporting bodies, government departments and farm gardens.
- Very good for sports ovals.
Looking to add natural lawn to your property?
For more information, read our blog on choosing lawn for your landscaping project.
Fill up the form below or call us on (08) 6263 4646